3D-Alkyne surface for “click chemistry“
Click chemistry is a chemical paradigm introduced by K. Barry Sharpless in 2001. Click chemistry describes chemical reactions for orthogonal, stereo-specific coupling while working in easily removable or benign solvents. The technology is inspired by the fact that chemical reactions in nature also generate substances by joining small modular units. One prominent example of click-chemistry is the reaction of Alkynes with Azide groups.
Alkyne PMMA-Beads are suitable to covalently capture/immobilize azide-tagged biomolecules by a Cu(I)-catalyzed azide-alkyne 1,3 cycloaddition reaction. The biomolecules of interest need to be metabolically, enzymatically or chemically azide-tagged. Subsequently, the Alkyne Beads containing the covalently attached biomolecules, e.g. proteins can be washed with high stringency, virtually eliminating any non-specifically bound biomolecules.
PolyAn has developed new 3D-Alkyne surfaces for directed (and if necessary bio-orthogonal) coupling of biomolecules:
- Alternative to conventional Streptavidin-Biotin chemistry
- Less unspecific interactions compared to Streptavidin
- No reactions of alkyne with regular biomolecule functionalities, e.g. hydroxy, amino and carboxy
- Newly formed triazole bond stable under physiological conditions
- CuAAC or copper-free chemistry also available
Transparent PolyAn microparticles with 3D-Alkyne surface coupled to fluorescence labeled azido peptide via ”click chemistry”.
[Fluorescence microscope image: Olympus IX71, 60x: visualisation of positive ligand binding]
PolyAn can functionalize all the beads from our portfolio with the new 3D-Alkyne surfaces:
- Transparent beads
- Fluorescence encoded beads
- Multiplex bead populations with up to 25 peaks for flow cytometry and fluorescence imaging systems
As part of our functionalization services PolyAn is now also offering the custom modification of beads with oligonucleotides or peptides. Please do not hesitate to contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org), if you have any questions regarding our products. We are looking forward to your inquiry.